MA in Communication Studies
MA in Communication Studies: Media and Journalism in the Information Society
Level Of Qualification
Master of Arts
|Department of Journalism, Communication and Mass Media|
Mode of Study
Full Time or Part Time
The Program of Postgraduate Studies titled Media in the Information Society, belongs to the domain of Communication and Journalism studies. The graduates of this program will have enjoyed a high quality academic education and could be thus employed in agencies and organizations in the public and private sector in Cyprus or in any international organization, especially the European Union. The program also offers the foundation for further postgraduate studies leading to a Ph.D. Degree, and /or research in the area of communication and production and dissemination of information.
The language of instruction is Greek.
Specific Aims of the Postgraduate Program of Studies
- The provision of high quality academic education and contemporary scientific knowledge in the communication sciences and journalism, while focusing on the information society, so as to ensure the preparation of highly qualified specialists. These graduates will be called to serve the needs of both public and private institutions, organizations and agencies but also the Cypriot state.
- The education of students in interdisciplinary and critical perspective of the production, dissemination and the role of information in modern society and the functions of social institutions. Central objective of the program is to educate students on the role of information, media and journalism in particular, in the configuration of the educational system, but also in the coverage and the outcomes of various crises that modern societies experience.
- The training of students in research and their development as researchers, in the various subjects of the program of studies.
- The participation of the students in the production of scientific knowledge, during their studies and the dissemination of research results to public and private institutions, organizations and agencies in the Cyprus society.
- The preparation of the students for doctoral studies in the area of journalism and communication.
- The fulfillment of the needs of the Cypriot society for highly trained and qualified personnel in the field of information, media and journalism in relation to key areas and issues of modern society.
Key Learning Outcomes
Upon the completion of their studies, students are expected to:
- Comprehend in a critical and in a scientifically documented mode the operation of the media as well as the changes in old and new media, and journalism in general.
- Critically assess the role of information and in particular the media and journalism in contemporary society, especially in shaping education and the life of those involved –teachers and students – as well in periods of crises.
- Develop skills to adapt to the constantly changing environment of the media, old and new, and study the ways in which they intervene and affect the functioning of social institutions, bodies and agencies.
- Have the ability to plan and carry out scientific research in the field.
- To know the methodology and techniques of empirical research and have the necessary knowledge and skills in handling the hardware and software required for the undertaking of empirical research.
- Be able to formulate and recommend to the relevant bodies and organizations, comprehensive strategies that will enhance the role of information, media and journalists in the functioning of social institutions, organizations, services and state.
- Have the knowledge and ability to solve with self-motivation and in scientifically grounded manner possible dysfunctions created by the leading role of media and journalism in the various fields of social life. These include on the one hand the design and implementation of training activities of the Mass Media in different population groups and also the planning and organization of crisis coverage by the media and the corresponding information of the individual concerned audiences.
- To acquire knowledge and skills in dealing with journalists and generally the media in possible critical periods that organizations, institutions and services of the public and private sector may experience.
- To acquire knowledge and skills in dealing with journalists and generally the media in the promotion of the work of educational units and departments, as well as all the other agencies of production and distribution of information
- To know the main local and international means of sponsoring and financing of research on the issues of information, the mass media and journalism.
Occupational Profiles of the Graduates
The graduates of the Program, of either specialization Mass Media, Journalism and Schooling or Journalism, Mass Media and Crises will have the knowledge and skills required to work in the following various areas of the public and private sector:
- Press Offices of Public Agencies, Ministries, Politicians, Political Parties, and Political Institutions (Parliament, Government, Municipalities, and Communities), social organizations as well as private enterprises and large companies of various activities.
- Print and electronic libraries and archives.
- Mass Media.
- Further, it should be noted that the acquisition of the Master’s Degree, for graduates of either specialization becomes an asset for promotion.
Those who specialize in Mass Media, Journalism and Schooling may additionally work as
- Educators specializing in media in education and in the audiovisual mass media education and literacy.
- Companies that produce educational software.
- Public and private agencies that promote educational issues in the media.
Those who specialize in Mass Media, Journalism and Crises may additionally work in:
- Media research companies.
- Companies that monitor the mass media.
- Companies that specialize in indexing.
- Public relation companies and offices, especially those that undertake crisis management projects.