BA in Audio Visual Communication
BA in Audio Visual Communication
Level Of Qualification
|Bachelor (1st Cycle Degree)|
|Department of Journalism, Communication and Mass Media|
Mode of Study
|Full Time or Part Time|
The general aim of the programme is to produce graduates who are multiple skilled, creative, and versatile practitioners, capable of utilizing multiple platforms (digital, visual, written, oral) in order to produce and promote creative attitude towards the audiovisual means of communication in the industry.
More specifically the programme aims:
- to develop critical awareness of contemporary audio visual communication practice and technological skills that will enable students to initiate, develop and release their own projects;
- to induce students to develop flexible approaches that will allow them to solve complex audiovisual problems;
- to increase students awareness of media, communication and culture, along with an understanding of the theories, research methodologies, and practices that characterize the Audio Visual Communication field;
- to develop critical awareness of contemporary design and acquire specialized knowledge of advanced applied design practice;
- to familiarize students with basic issues in the social sciences and equip them with concepts and methodologies which they can utilise in their own work on particular topics;
- to enrich students' general knowledge of the historical and ideological context in the field of film, video, audio and interactive arts, and the global and local conditions in which they will develop their own productions;
- to maintain and promote active links with the industry by organizing and producing projects for a variety of purposes, while giving students the experience to communicate with real demanding clients.
The language of instruction is English.
Key Learning Outcomes
Upon the completion of the programme students will gain knowledge, experience and skills allowing them:
- to be able to produce, communicate and deliver creative ideas professionally, both working alone and collaboratively as part of a team, displaying awareness of the ethical implications of the media field they will work for;
- to acquire skills and experiences necessary to involve in all aspects of the production and post-production of digital video, audio and related media for the creation of a complete artifact;
- to evaluate comparatively various and different contemporary cultural perspectives and cultural forms, their inter-relation and antagonisms and the codes they employ;
- to apply graphic design principles to various types of video, print, and interactive media;
- to identify audiences in their diversity and specificity and the complex ways in which audiences interact with and respond to sound/image material in particular contexts;
- to perform autonomous research work and be able to engage in critical analysis and discussion of issues and interpretative frameworks;
- to become informed, reflective practitioners, with a coherent and broad theoretical understanding of the social context and implications of communication aspects, dedicated to improving their practice through on-going critical awareness and analysis;
- to be able to use effectively state-of-the-art equipment and software tools embracing the impact of technology and new media in the area of contemporary communication displaying an awareness of the technical and commercial aspects involved in creating visual effects and animation across a range of media;
Occupational Profiles of the Graduates
- Graduates of the BA Degree in Audiovisual Communication will be well prepared for a dynamic future in the Media industry that demands high professional standards and value creativity and innovative thinking.
- Holders of the BA Degree in Audiovisual Communication will have a unique combination of creative design and software specializations which will enables them to take advantage of opportunities in video and audio production and post-production, motion graphics, web and graphic design.
- Graduates will be equipped to work in many areas of the audiovisual industry as Directors, Cinematographers, Lighting Designers, Sound engineers, Video Editors and motion graphics animators, still photographers as well as web and graphic designers.
- Continue for postgraduate studies at other institutions.