MEd in Adult Education
MEd Adult Education
Level Of Qualification
|School of Education and Social Sciences|
Mode of Study
|Full Time or Part Time|
The master program of study in Adult Education is designed in order to accept adult educators, instructors, and trainers as well as any other professionals that educate and train adults from different subject matters and fields. The program is developed having in mind the continuous and increasing complexity and demands of the adult educator profession regardless of field and specialization. Additionally, various other elements were taken into consideration when designing this program of study. First of the all, the fact that the adult educators work in various educational learning environments/settings: formal, informal and non-formal. Secondly, there is an urgent need for an overview critique of the basic concepts and principles of adult education in macro-level and/or micro-level. Additionally, the program is designed in order to incorporate the effective integration of new and innovative teaching methods, techniques and policies as well as the use of technology in modern learning environments. The program also aims to provide the theoretical, pedagogical as well as practical framework for the students to examine the concepts of adult education, learning theories, curriculum development, teaching and evaluation. The program aims to provide the students with the necessary knowledge and skills in order to be able to take over leadership positions and meet the needs and demands of the society in regards to adult education. Finally, the program has also a research orientation in order to promote action research and transform the teaching and learning approaches in the field of adult education.
The language of instruction is Greek.
Key Learning Outcomes
The indented learning outcomes of the master program of study in Adult Education are delineated below:
- The complete overview of the basic concepts and principles of adult education, its teaching and evaluation and the understanding of their major interactions.
- The targeted integration of teaching strategies and active educational techniques, as well as the integration of new technologies in the teaching and learning process, employing pedagogical approaches that maximize the added value of learning.
- The understanding of differences of adult teaching and learning needs and approaches and their effective implementation through the study of adult learning theories.
- The design, implementation and evaluation of an adult education program employing new methods and innovative approaches as well as incorporating new technologies and digital learning environments.
- The understanding of the dynamics and reasons of development, and the current and future needs and demands of the adult education field, as it evolves in Cyprus, Greece and Europe.
- The development of new knowledge by systematic research activity focused on the main issues/ subjects that characterize the current program of study and the growth of research orientations and interests among adult educators.
- The emergence of action research as an important tool for adult educators in their daily professional activities in order to effectively employ modern teaching approaches towards achieving the objectives of adult education.
- The development of analytical and critical thinking and fruitful dialogue and cooperation to address the problems and challenges related to adult education.
Occupational Profiles of the Graduates
The graduates will develop the necessary educational, theoretical and practical background on issues related to Adult Education so that they can cope with the complexity of their profession, even if they come from different disciplines, fields and specializations.
Graduates of the Master will be able to work in various sectors, organisations and businesses related to education, training and vocational training for adults of different disciplines, fields and specialisations.
Education at all levels (primary, secondary and tertiary)
Educational centres for informal and non-formal learning (e.g. State Further Education Institutes, Training Centres, Vocational Training Centres) - Businesses and organisations concerning Managers/Officers/Instructors who deal with Human Resources and specifically with Education/Training of the workers of the business/organisation. - Educational, Research, non-profit organisations that offer adult education opportunities. - Private and public organisations that offer adult education programmes (e.g. Productivity Centre, Pedagogical Institute, Human Resources Development Authority) - Other certified organisations offering adult education/training programs.