Scope & Functions
The Research Service is responsible for the Promotion, Organization and Support of the University’s research activities, enabling FU’s research community in achieving their research goals that are consistent with the mission and goals of the University.
To achieve its scope, the Research Service performs the following main functions:
- Identification of national and international funding opportunities for research;
- Processing and channeling targeted information on funding opportunities & requests for partnerships to faculty & researchers;
- Assistance in the networking of University Departments or Research Teams with national or international institutes, organizations, universities and the industry;
- Presentation and promotion of research activity outcomes of the University;
- Establishment & implementation of rules of engagement of faculty & researchers in Research Projects through efficient and clear procedures & tools;
- Clarification of roles and duties of other related support services of the University and liaison with them for effective implementation of research project;
- Creation maintenance of corresponding archives and databases of research activity data at the University, for easy referencing and use;
- Support and guidance to researchers during proposal preparation, especially in terms of administrative, budgeting and consortium set-up aspects;
- Support of faculty & researchers during project implementation on: adherence to funding agencies and internal rules; budget implementation & monitoring /cost reporting, project management support tools
- Identification and resolution of issues hindering the participation in research projects and their implementation
To facilitate the continuous expansion of research activities at the University and to promote the principle of equal opportunities to all faculties (equal access to information and resources) and independence of research work, Frederick University has developed the necessary policies, management services and structures. The following University Bodies/Service/Structures are involved in the policy & strategy setting, management and administration of research at FU:
- The University Council : The Council is the supreme Governing body of the University and has responsibility for managing all matters relating to the University that do not fall within the competence of another authority. As such, it is involved in aspects of research that have significant financial impact, in the strategic development of the University, including strategy on research and innovation and major research infrastructure developments.
- The University Senate : The Senate, as the supreme Academic body of the University, is responsible for the academic work at the University, both in terms of teaching and research. To facilitate its efficient operation and work, the Senate appoints and specifies responsibilities to permanent and temporary (ad hoc) committees, including the 'Research Committee'.
- Research Committee: is appointed be the Senate of the University according to the ‘Frederick University Internal Regulations of the Senate’. The main responsibilities of the Research Committee are to provide recommendations for the allocation of research budget funds, the submission of reports on existing and/or proposed research projects and the study and submission of reports on the University’s research strategy and on the collaboration of the University with other universities, research institutes and organizations. The Research Committee also allocates responsibilities and oversees the activities of the Research Service for the effective management of the University’s research issues.
Research Committee Members
|Prof. Andreas Kanarahos||Vice Rector||President|
|Director of Administration & Finance||Ex Officio Member|
|Prof. Chris Christodoulou||Professor – Mechanical Engineering Dept.||Senate Appointment|
|Dean – Education School||Senate Appointment|
|Ass. Prof. Costa Kyriakou||Ass. Prof. – Computer Science & Engineering Dept.||Senate Appointment|
|Mr. Alexis Onoufriou||Head of Research Service||Ex Officio Member|
Pivotal to the success and the implementation of the University’s Research Policy and efficient Research Work is the operation of the Research Service that aims to Promote, Organize & Support the University’s Research Activities. Support in this effort, especially in terms of financial management of projects is provided by the Financial Service , whereas the establishment of the Liaison Office facilitates the effective technology transfer to the local economy and society.
The figure below maps the above structures at Frederick University.
Useful Document & Forms
Documents available for Researchers and Academic personnel
Postal Address: P.O.Box 24729, Nicosia 1303, Cyprus
Telephone No.: +357-22431355 ext.41179
Fax No.: +357-22349555
|Alexis Onoufriou||Head of Research Service||Contact|
|Constantinos Kounnamas||Research Officer||Contact|
|Dr. Marios Andreou||Research Officer||Contact|