BSc in Civil Engineering
|BSc in Civil Engineering|
Level Of Qualification
|Bachelor (1st Cycle Degree)|
|Department of Civil Engineering|
Mode of Study
|Full Time or Part Time|
The program is dedicated to create qualified graduates with ethical values, able to pursue academic and professional careers in the field of Civil Engineering. The program aims in the developing of graduates with a diverse set of skills that can solve complex problems, work and communicate efficiently and effectively in teams and develop basic leadership competencies that allows them to lead design or construction management teams in their carrier as professional Civil Engineers. Furthermore, the program provides a strong foundation for students to pursue graduate studies.
The main objectives of the program are to:
- provide students with a spherical knowledge of the field of civil engineering that includes all disciplines of the profession,
- educate students to be competent in the analysis and design of structures, evaluation and selection of appropriate materials, management of construction sites and personnel, identification of environmental impacts related to civil engineering projects and proposition of mitigation measures or actions, promote sustainable construction and development and identify ethical responsibilities of practicing engineers,
- help students develop the skills needed to ensure a successful career in the field of civil engineering,
- prepare students for direct employment after graduation by integrating theory with practice, through activities like industrial placement and capstone analysis and design projects.
- prepare students for graduate studies by helping them acquire the required knowledge and develop the necessary skills.
The language of instruction for both specializations, as well as the general program, is English.
Key Learning Outcomes
The intended learning outcomes of the program are:
- Apply the knowledge of mathematics, physics and engineering fundamentals to the solution of engineering problems;
- Develop critical thinking, individual and teamwork skills to solve engineering problems with realistic constraints;
- Handle open ended design problems apply general principles of the legislative framework, relating to civil engineering problems including multiple alternatives;
- Engage in innovative projects that incorporate real life scenarios, promote sustainability and constructability and raise the awareness for team work in multidisciplinary setting;
- Solve complex engineering problems considering public health and safety, cultural, societal, and environmental issues;
- Utilize the current state of the art and research methods to design and execute experimental and numerical investigations, analyze and interpret data to provide valid conclusions;
- Acquire the expertise to carry out computer-assisted analysis of engineering problems and evaluate the validity of software output;
- Participation in professional societies and organizations, understand and appreciate the societal context of the civil engineering profession, and the ethical responsibilities of practicing engineers;
- Communicate and defend complex ideas effectively, including oral, written, and technical report writing skills;
- Manage construction operations and maintenance activities implementing basic concepts of engineering economics and feasibility studies;
- Promote the engagement in life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Occupational Profiles of the Graduates
The graduates of the Program are equipped with the knowledge and skills to design, create, maintain and expand civil engineering systems that address a wide variety of concerns, including those of a structural, geotechnical, environmental, hydraulics, materials, construction management nature. They can work in civil engineering-related posts in the private and public sector. Such posts may include civil and environmental engineering analysis and design teams, teams for on-site supervision of projects, as well as teams that set or monitor the effectiveness of legal tools for civil engineering projects.
The programme will also provide valuable background expertise for those wishing to enter into asset management or to begin to pursue a career in research and development.
The graduates of the program are eligible to register to the Technical Chamber of Cyprus (ETEK).